Friday, October 5, 2012

"This is an Alaïa!": Alicia Silverstone in Clueless


Before 1995, teenagers in America were seen mainly sporting the Nirvana-look; loose jeans, plaid shirts and dirty hair. Though I don't really have a problem with this look (except for the dirty hair, ew.), it doesn't stand a chance against the "School Girl Barbie" phase which came about after the release of one of the greatest films ever: Clueless.
Now, I'm fully aware that I haven't spoken too kindly of the nineties in the past, but truthfully, any film that glorifies shopping, hyper-girlieness, bright colours and knee-high socks paired with mini skirts, is more than okay with me.

Perhaps one of the most popular chick-flicks of the past few decades, Clueless follows the life of Cher, a rich and spoiled Beverly Hills high-schooler, whose great joys in life involve shopping, makeovers, shopping, match-making and shopping. She is a bit of a brat, but she always means well, especially when it comes to her friends and family. Even though many discount her as a bimbo, her knowledge of popular culture and her amazing debating skills provide her with enough street-smarts to get by in her bright world full of friends and designer clothes.

Like most girls, I've always dreamed of owning a massive rotating closet, as well as a software on which I can try out different looks before getting dresses in the morning. Yet, as I was not blessed with these fun amenities, I must therefore keep dreaming and simply admire the clothes.
If there was one wardrobe staple in this film, it would be, without a doubt, the mini skirt. Cher manages to wear a thigh-grazing skirt throughout 90% of the film (wish I could do that throughout 90% of my life), which would normally seem a little risqué, however, when they come in bright colours with matching sweaters, it's more sweet than slutty.

Unsurprisingly, my favourite Cher-look is her classic yellow schoolgirl outfit (right), which she dons at the beginning of the film. Not many blondes can pull off so much yellow, but believe me, I will make it work for myself one day. It's Britney-meets-Big-Bird, which is an epic combination when you think about it.
Whether she is wearing a white, strapless Calvin Klein dress for a night of partying, or a Little Red Dress for seducing a (gay) guy (below), Cher always manages to look flawless. Even in the nineties.

 
Here are some designers who channeled the Cher-look in their Fall 2012 Couture and RTW collections:
 
Betsey Johnson
Carven
Chanel Couture
Dolce & Gabbana
 
 


No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?