Monday, June 17, 2013

Hot Mess: Sofia Coppola in The Godfather: Part III


A Sofia Coppola obsession has always been imminent.


I am proud to report that my style obsession has moved on from white... to Sofia Coppola. Yes, a rather strange move, I must admit. However, considering two of the hottest things this summer are white and upcoming The Bling Ring, this was a natural progression. 

The onslaught of Sofia Coppola's pure genius will commence with her role in The Godfather: Part III (1990), which I actually only saw for the first time last week. The movie was quite good, not as good as its two predecessors, but still adequate. 

Actually, I didn't really follow much of what was going on. I was distracted by three things: 1) the hotness of a young Andy Garcia, 2) the fabulous wardrobe of Mary Corleone (a.k.a. Sofia Coppola), and 3) the uncomfortably strange love affair between Andy's character Vincent and his COUSIN Mary. I know the film took place in the 80s, but surely incest was illegal then as well?

That is why Mary Corleone is a hot mess: she embodies everything that was fabulous about the 80s, wears fantastic clothes, is totally stunning... but she's in love with her cousin. I'm not sure how I'm supposed to feel about her.

Whatever. Style trumps sanity any day.

Fun fact: the costume designer for this film, Milena Canonero, also did the costumes for Marie Antoinette (2006), which Sofia directed (and Milena won an Oscar for it).


No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?