Tuesday, April 2, 2013

Fashion Fail: Every Slasher Film Ever Made


Slasher films are both my best friend and my worst enemy.


I have read about/written about/thought about/watched SO many slasher films recently, that they are literally the only thing on my mind these days.

I've actually thought about them so much that I've begun to analyse the characters' style.

Or lack there of, rather.

Not a single slasher film from Psycho (1960) to All The Boys Love Mandy Lane (2006) is even remotely impressive in the wardrobe department. Such a shame. 

I understand that these films are not about fashion, and that clothes are often only present so that they can be taken off, but still. Is it too much to ask to see teenagers/college kids who have a keen sense of style get stalked by a crazy killer?

The '70s weren't that bad with The Texas Chain Saw Massacre (1974) and Halloween (1978), but I think that's only because of the nature of the decade itself.

The '80s were possibly the most disappointing, since they made the most ridiculously outlandish (but still awesome) slasher films, but had the most boring style in them. All of the Friday the 13th and Nightmare on Elm Street franchises just had youngsters wearing unflattering jeans and tops. Even worse, this trend carried on all the way through the '90s.

YAWN.

With the possible exception of Tatum, a.k.a. Rose McGowan in Scream (1996), all Final Girls and their doomed friends did nothing but disappoint.

It has now become my mission in life to write a script for a slasher film, which is both awesome and stylish.

Shouldn't be too hard.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?