Wednesday, May 8, 2013

The Icon: Mia Farrow in The Great Gatsby

Is it bad that the only thing I'm looking forward to
in the remake is the clothes and Leonardo DiCaprio?


In about a week's time Baz Luhrmann's version of F. Scott Fitzgerald's celebrated novel will hit the cinemas. Whilst most people are wondering if it will exceed the cinematic masterpiece that was Francis Ford Coppola's screenplay from the 1974 adaptation, I am left contemplating which film will be more aesthetically pleasing. 

I've only seen the original once, when I was in seventh grade, and we watched it in class after we read the book (must confess: didn't read the book, hardly paid attention to the movie). The only thing I picked up from the movie was that I loved the fashion, and when you think about it, really, that's the only thing that matters. The 1920s may have been a very significant time in history financially, socially and politically, but the clothes represented all of it in a nutshell - you don't want to get me into a rant about the importance of flapper style.

So will the remake be as amazing as the original? The original got an Oscar for Best Costume Design. 

I'm gonna go with: obviously. Miuccia Prada worked with the costume designer to create over 40 looks for the film. Isn't that proof enough?

Also, even though Mia Farrow has been a bit of a style icon, I prefer Carey Mulligan. She somehow annoys me less, so her representation of Daisy Buchanan will be more chic. 

Either way, nothing will be as amazing as Jay Gatsby, a.k.a. Leo DiCaprio, a.k.a. my future husband.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?