Tuesday, October 29, 2013

Halloween Costumes: The Plastics in Mean Girls vs. Ghostface in Scream(s)

"Halloween is the one night a year when a girl can dress like a total slut
and no other girls can say anything about it."



Those were the infamous words of Cady Heron (a.k.a. Lindsay Lohan) from one of the greatest films of all time, Mean Girls (2004).

Whether you agree with the statement or not (personally, I still judge the slutty-looking girls), Halloween appears to give certain girls permission, if you will, to roam around as naked as they possibly can be, expecting no judgement. After all, what they're wearing is a "costume". But is it really?

Instead of masquerading as a slutty animal ("I'm a mouse, duh!"), shouldn't they just be dressed as scantily-clad girls? I suppose it's alright if you dress up as a character (like Catwoman) or celebrity (hello, all of you dressing up as Miley Cyrus) who themselves dress a little slutty. But wearing something you have previously worn in everyday life and throwing on animal ears/fairy wings/a silly mask, doesn't make it a costume.

If you throw on blood though, that's different.

I think if I were to go slutty for Halloween, I would go sultry, like Vampira in Ed Wood or Morticia Addams

But not this year. This year, I will be the legendary Ghostface (from another one of the greatest films of all time), and scare my friends sh*tless. 

Kind of like Cady did. Scary always beats slutty.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?