Sunday, December 23, 2012

The Icon: Cate Blanchett in Elizabeth: The Golden Age

Why can't I dress like Queen Elizabeth I?


Last night was the first time I saw Elizabeth: The Golden Age (2007). Let me get this out of the way first: I am officially in love with Cate Blanchett. There.

I'm not usually a fan of costume dramas, but this is a rare exception (and maybe The Age of Innocence, but does that count as a costume drama?). Not only was the story very exciting, but the clothes were too. Generally period pieces are like Pride & Prejudice, where the heroine wears very dull  and dreary corsets and dresses. Hyperbolic yawn. Yet, Elizabeth proved to be much more aesthetically stimulating.

Sadly, we don't live in an era where this type of style can be pulled off on the streets. Therefore we must look to designers such as Alexander McQueen (or Sarah Burton, rather) who is able to create these types of looks and send them down the runway, and to socialites such as Daphne Guinness who is actually able to pull off said looks, and admire them for being able to get away with it.

I curtsy to you.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Was it stylish for you?